lunes, 7 de julio de 2008

¡Te estás estirando la cuerda!

Well, I have been thinking a lot over the weekend about my classes. After my first full day of Metología, Evolución Histórica del Español, Semántica Española, y Variedades Lingüísticas, I started to wonder if it would be better for me to be in the other set of classes that are offered in our program. The other courses focus more on intensive practice of grammar in syntax, idiomatic constructions, readings, discussions, etc. I love the classes that I have been in, but I don’t think that they are as practical for what I teach in the classroom. (Maybe next summer!!) I went to talk to Celestino after I worked out (yes, I made it to the gym when it was actually open today) and got his opinion. He just cracks me up! Celestino compared the courses I am currently in to a Ferrari, great classes with a lot of extra embellishments. After that, he compared the classes that I am not it to a Camry—perhaps without all the bells and whistles, but more practical. I kept going back and forth with him, as I have with everyone else I have talked to about this decision. That’s when Celestino told me, «te estás estirando la cuerda,» which means that I am stretching the cord (thinking too much) and it is about to break! He recommended that I make the decision to switch courses and not look back! I don’t know why it has been so hard for me to make decisions here! I feel like whenever I make a decision to do one thing, I miss out on another—which, overall, is a great place to be! There are just so many great things going on here, I don’t want to miss out!

Okay, about the rest of my day…I went to El Gimnasio Metropolitano today and got a gym membership. The gym is awesome, it has three different floors. I also got my room cleaned and dropped my laundry off to get washed. I went to Corté Inglés (a common and popular mall in Spain) to get a new charger for my camera battery! I am so glad that I can use my camera again! By the way, the dollar so weak here right now! Everything costs almost twice what it does in the U.S. ¡Qué triste! : (

No hay comentarios: